After a breakdown or errors, you can restore a database instance or revert it to an earlier state by importing data backups and log backups from data carriers.
● Only for Microsoft Windows: If you want to restore the database instance using backups from data carriers on a remote computer, carry out the steps described in Backing Up and Restoring Data with Remote Computers.
● Initially, the database system attempts to import redo log entries still present in the log area when it does the restoring. To prevent this and force the deletion of all redo log entries in the log area, initialize the log area before the restore.
You use the Database Manager for restoring.
1. You import a complete data backup.
○ Database Manager GUI, Restoring
○ Database Manager CLI, Backing Up and Restoring Database Instances
2. If necessary, import incremental data backups and log backups as well.
3. If necessary, restore any damaged indexes.
○ Database Manager GUI, Restoring Indexes After Database Restore
○ Database Manager CLI, sql_recreateindex
○ Database Administration in CCMS: MaxDB, Index Analysis
○ Database Administration in CCMS: SAP liveCache Technology, Bad Indexes
Database Administration Tutorial, Restoring the Database Instance